Wednesday, September 3, 2008

In The Air...

Well the girls are flying across the ocean as I type this. This is the third plane they have been on today and I hope that they are sleeping right now... As I snuggled, talked and prayed with Allee, Jadon, and Benjamin tonight, it seemed so strange to not be giving back scratches to Nastya and reading with Katya. Every so often today, I have seen something as I cleaned my house (which appeared to have been hit by a hurricane :)) that reminded me of a particular moment or I could almost hear their voices calling me in their adorable English/Ukrainian vocabulary.

Our day started long before anyone should be awake. With just a few hours of sleep, after much packing and children who didn't want to go to bed on their last night, we awoke at 4:00 am. We quickly got ready and loaded the car with five sleepy children and a few suitcases. The stars were beautiful :) The girls were upbeat for most of the way to the airport, and thankfully they didn't experience any motion sickness this time. We were all allowed past security so we ate McDonalds and were quite a sight trailing through the airport - bedhead and all!

The girls continued to say that they didn't want to leave and got emotional over insignificant annoyances...but they were sweet and accepting about it at the same time. Finally we had to say our goodbyes and off they headed. Katya hugged me hard and quietly said, "Thank you Momma."

It is hard to comprehend that we just sent the children, who are the daughters of our hearts if not by law, across the world to a place that they don't want to go. I do think that they will be happy to see their friends and caregivers once they get there and we looked at a bunch of pictures last night of their friends to help them get excited. They do have some close relationships with a few friends and adults there and for that we are so thankful.

I don't know - I thought it would be easier this time than at Christmas because we have a clearer picture now of a hopeful future to be reunited soon. But it wasn't -it was harder. I think because my heart is less guarded this time and they truly feel like our daughters. Which, although difficult, is a blessing that God has already begun that process of knitting our hearts together. Amazing what can happen in three weeks! It has flown by but yet seems a lifetime ago that they arrived. Hopefully time will fly before we ee-dee-tu-dee (go to) Ukraine!

So-lod-kee to-bee snueef sweet girls.

5 comments:

Kevin and Pam said...

That sure brings back memories...Hopefully, you will be hearing soon it is time to go and get them. I check my e-mail constantly to find out if today is going to be the day we hear. I am not sure how much longer I can take all this wait. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I pray God will reunite you guys really soon.

Connie said...

Had hoped you'd post soon after their departure!

I'm thankful that their departure went smoothly--although certainly not 'easy'.

I recall leaving Yekaterinburg, Russia after first meeting our girls. As we flew over the city and thought we recognized the huge lake near their orphange/shelter we both were hit with the reality that these girls had most definitely become 'ours' in more ways than we had dared to imagine.

I recall looking at my husband and saying--in an effort to lighten the moment--"as the Tin Man said, I know I have a heart now because it is breaking."

Praying that the remainder of your adoption journey will be short, smooth, and filled with His grace!

ashley said...

your post made me cry. i cant imagine how hard it is to send them back. i pray that you will hear soon the good news that your travels are not far off and that your family will all be home before you know it. is it not amazing the way God hand picks these children and what a perfect pick they are. everyday i am amazed at how perfectly bennet fits in as a roberts. he gets our jokes, loves our sillyness. your girls are true potts through and through! in the 'waiting' time you can do the things you need to to prepare to be a mother of five. i know God has a plan for the 'waiting' even if we do not see if. I think he must being working on everyone's hearts and preparing them for such big change.

Debora Hoffmann said...

Ah, I know what it feels like to put a daughter on a plane back to Ukraine. It is heart-wrenching, but it's a necessary step. I agree with Ashley: God has a plan for the waiting time. I'm glad He's giving us this time to prepare to be parents full-time...maybe to more than one. We rely on Him!

jeri said...

baby, i know your heart is saddened by letting the girls go home. when you drove away from my house monday and the girls just kept waving goodbye and throwing kisses to me, i cryed. they are such sweet girls and it is so amazing how quickly they fit into your family and ours. but as we all know, they will be back in God's timing. and you have alot to get done before they become yours forever so i think the time will fly for you. i also think it will give them time to have closure in ukraine. as much as they want to be yours, it has got to be hard for them to leave their country, language, friends behind. i too hear their voices saying, grandmother, so often. when they return i must get them to call me rere!!!! but the way they say grandmother is so so cute. my prayers will be with them every day til they return. love, mommie