Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Dad

This morning as I was spending a little qt with Ben - taking a walk and then swinging him on the tree swings - my sister comes racing up to us in her car, jumps out, and says - "Come on now, Dad's having a heart attack." What?!? This happens to other people. This can't be really happening.

My phone was not working - of all times - so she had to come find me. I swooped up Ben, left him with Jason (my brother-in-law), and we raced to the hospital. It turned out that my dad was having some strange symptoms this morning - back pain, jaw pain, nausea, and right shoulder pain. He mentioned this to my mom as he was about to leave for work and she just had an intuition that something serious was going on although at the moment it didn't seem that serious. I mean, we just moved our office and he had been doing a lot of lifting and hanging cabinets - so it would be normal to be a bit sore. But she just felt that he needed to be checked out. She is not usually an alarmist. Well they left for the ER and on the way, things started getting worse and by the time they arrived and hooked him up to the EKG, he was having a full-blown heart attack. They were able to slow it down with meds very quickly and within 45 minutes he was airflighted to an amazing heart hospital in San Antonio. My mom, my sis, and I raced over there and got lost on the way. The fear of the unknown during that time is hard to describe. By the time we arrived, they had already put in a stint and he was SO much better. His color was better and he seemed much calmer. I think they said that he has very minimal damage and at this time does not need surgery, which is just miraculous considering how bad the blockage in a major artery was. Incredible how quickly those stints work - I had no idea. Once the immediate fear was past, I was very intrigued with how it worked.

Praise God that things went as they did. Praise God that my mom listened to the warnings that the Lord sent her. Praise God that my dad was with my mom when this happened. I have seen way too clearly how small differences could have made for very different outcomes. I know that if things had gone different, God would still be good and would still be sovereign and that regardless there is hope and grace... But, I am so very thankful that today, his life was spared, and it was not his time to go to heaven. I will never understand why God allows things to go the way they do in good and bad times, but I will never forget what I once was told. "When you can't understand the hand of God, trust the heart of God." In other words, God is good - all the time.

I also know something else. I love my daddy. I just saw in an instant what a wonderful man he is and what he means to me. He does so much for his wife and his children and his grandchildren. He has used his gifts to create a beautiful haven (well several actually) that bless his family and many others. He has a kind, giving heart. He has a desire to introduce others to Jesus. He has a heart for prayer. He has been such a wonderful mentor and partner to his two son-in-laws. He is a wonderful grandpa who has taught his grandkids countless life lessons and created precious memories of tractor rides, pancakes, golf lessons, Aggie games, swimming lessons, trips around town and oh so much more... My dad is not perfect - but who is? But when you look at his life and the family he has led and the choices that have defined him, you can most definitely see the wonderful man he is. And I'm thankful that he will have more time to enjoy his family and us him. So Dad, don't worry about a thing and just enjoy the beauty around you. God has given you more days and I am thankful for each one. Love you Daddy.

Psalm 91: 12-14
So teach us to number our days,
That we may present to You a heart of wisdom.
Do return, O LORD; how long will it be?
And be sorry for Your servants.
O satisfy us in the morning with Your lovingkindness,
That we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.

11 comments:

Zack, Jenn and William said...

How scary for everyone. But I'm thankful that your dad is doing better and will not need surgery. Praying for a quick recovery for him.

Unknown said...

Oh my word!!!!!!!!! I am crying just thinking of all you guys have been thru in the last 36 hours!!!!! I am glad he is doing better! Praying with you!
Love you!

Kevin and Pam said...

Thank Goddness he is o.k. Will lift him and you in our prayers. You had to be very frightened. Blessings, Pam

Debora Hoffmann said...

Praise God that He has given your dad more time to spend with you all! What a blessing. :_)

Connie said...

So thankful for God's 'smiling providence' toward you and your family today.

Ken and Joy said...

This gives me chills...I am SO glad your mother was with him and recognized the signs. Hoping he has a quick recovery.

Also - So excited for your SDA Appt date!!! E-mail me with any other questions you have.

ashley said...

Wonderful Post! I love my daddy too!

Terri said...

I'm so glad to hear your Dad is okay. Tell him of our prayers.

Tami said...

How scary! But how wonderful that he is doing better. We'll keep him in our prayers.

jeri said...

God is not finished with what He has planned for your daddy. but truly a wakeup call. that and the sermon this morning at church was titled "live like you were dying"! i kid you not, that was the sermon. i thank and praise God that he has given us more days to spend with your daddy. i cant imagine life without him. now if i can only help him calm down over those little things. you know the thing i keep thinking about is how you always hear about God's perfect timing. then you experience it sometimes so strongly that it overwhelms you with joy and gratitude. this could have happened in ethiopia, on the long flight there or back, in ruidoso, on the golfcourse. so many places. but it didnt. thank you God for your unending blessings that are new everyday. stephanee, your blog today really expressed so many things so well. hopefully it will be an experience we never have to go thru again but also an experience that we also never forget. love, mommie

jeri said...

thanks you steph,what sweet things to say. i am thankfull that GOD has given me more time to enjoy all of you and do more for HIM. love you what good little kids you have. they are really sweet. love you both dad