Saturday, August 9, 2008

What an amazing gift!


We had the most precious reunion last night at the airport! It was everything I imagined and more! We got the greatest hugs of all time and huge smiles as we walked out to our car about midnight. Thank you so much to our paparazzi crew who captured those sweet moments! Then we drove about an hour and half home with one stop to get bananas... I think since last night they have each had about 8 pieces of fruit. They are like kids in a candy shop with the fruit - they are amazed that I allow them to have it. I figure its good for them and it will taper off eventually. At least it kind of started to at Christmas with Nastya.

Anyways, so we arrived home and met each and every animal (we kind of have a zoo!). Then they wanted to take a bath (and needed one - they showed up in several layers including sweaters?!? - this is Texas in August and I don't think it is cold in Ukraine either!!). Finally we put on their pjs and we prayed and went to sleep about 3 in the morning. Wow! They slept until 8 and then up we went, cooked breakfast (eggs, little sausages, bread) which they ate well, cleaned up (Katya really likes to help clean and is very organized), got dressed and headed to my parents' house to swim and meet the horses. Oh, before we left Zach and Katya played around on the computer listening to music. She loves music and we had sent her the Breakaway CD (praise and worship music) and a cd player for her birthday. She recognized all the songs and seems to really enjoy them. We had fun looking at pictures too.

So we arrived at my parents and I finally let them unbuckle and roll down the windows once we got into the gate. They were in awe of the sunroof and stuck their heads out. It was amazing to see Nastya's reactions at seeing things again and Katya's reactions at seeing everything for the first time. The funniest reaction was when Nastya saw Solomon - my parents' huge New Foundland who was a tiny puppy at Christmas - she was so confused at how he had grown SO big :) Another example, Nastya knew the seat belt is a non-negotiable but Katya is learning that (just like Nastya did at Christmas). I watched Nastya ride her bike, pet the horses, and swing under the trees today and remembered the emotions of the last day in January that she relished doing these exact things and neither of knew if she would ever be back to do it again. Thank you Lord for bringing these children to us!

Swimming Time!!

We headed to the pool and they have been telling me that they know how to swim. Just before getting in they asked for life jackets!! I had none except for Ben and Ella's - much to small! They said they knew how!! So they squeezed into these mini life jackets and tentatively got in, holding onto me for dear life. Very soon though, they were flopping around, holding their breath underwater, and attempting a few strokes. It won't take them long to learn, but we will have life jackets that fit next time around!!

After all that we ate lunch, went up to the house to rest a bit with a movie, and fit in a little bike riding. Katya is a bit frustrated that her little sis can ride and she can't. It was too hot to practice long today but she will get it soon.

Katya is so incredibly sweet and thoughtful. She really likes Ella and braided her hair so pretty today. She is very helpful and notices when things need to be done. She is very friendly and likes to be with us all the time. She is also calm and I think has a calming effect on Nastya :) She is doing great with English too - it is fun to teach them English.

I go to bed tired but full of joy!

What a gift it is to have these precious girls.

6 comments:

Kevin and Pam said...

What a blessing! I hope you have a wonderful time together. I can hardly wait to hold my two in my arms again.

Unknown said...

I am in tears!!!!!!! I can;t wait to see them!!!!!!!
Love you!

Connie said...

So great to hear this first report of their visit!!! Praying for you all!

Ken and Joy said...

I am so glad to hear things are going well. It sounds like they are so sweet! This makes me more anxious and excited about meeting our girls!!

Laura and Brad said...

I am so happy for you all!

Leslie said...

I'm so excited! Thanks for sharing the reunion!