Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thankful Turkeys

Psalm 106:1
Praise the Lord! Oh, give thanks to the Lord for He is good! For His mercy endures forever!
This week we have focused on thankfulness and we have learned the verse above for our bible study time (I print a tranlsated version for the girls). We have put feathers on our thankful turkeys. Each feather has something written that someone is thankful for. It has been so fun and I have seen all of our hearts lifted as we have been concious of what we are thankful for. Katya and Nastya have loved this activity and have repeatedly talked about how thankful they are for their big family and then they name each member of their family. They are thankful for the animals and for horseback riding. However in doing these exercises I realize how often we all forget the uncountable blessings that we have to be thankful for. Thanksgiving is truly something that we must choose to do and something that does not come naturally to us. But when (or if) practiced it allows us to see the sliver lining in even some of the darkest storms. The more that I conciously thank God for the blessings in my life, the more I realize how very much I have thankful for. This is something I want to make a daily habit of - focusing on all I have to be thankful for rather than all that is wrong or difficult. This is something I fail in often but I am thankful that I serve a gracious, merciful God who continues to patiently teach me :)

Today our church had a day of thanksgiving where people (including children) could go up to the front and talk about what they are thankful to God for. My heart overflowed as I considered all that I had to be thankful for and as I listened to testimony after testimony of how God has been at work in the most intimate ways in the lives of so many. I was humbled to hear so many people speak who were able to 'praise Him in their storm'. There were some heartbreaking stories and I heard how God was good and faithful in the midst of trials that I can not imagine walking through. And I saw how we all have a choice - we all have daily trials and sometimes we face things that are incredibly big trials but regardless of who you are - life is not easy. But then God never promised that it would be easy. But He did promise to walk alongside us and to be our comfort as we walk through this broken world. And ultimately He made it possible that we could live eternally with Him where He would wipe away all the tears.

And thankfulness is also something that we must teach our children - biological or adopted. However, our older adopted children come to us as children who have had to learn to take to survive and who never been taught or shown thankfulness. I was often told by those who had gone before us not to expect gratefulness and honestly we do get it more that we thought. But very often we get "I want, I want, I want"! Or sometimes we get sweet hugs that are intended to prime us for the next request, "Please mommy can I have..." And we love to show our girls how very precious and loved they are but we also want them to know that stuff does not equal happiness and that they cannot have everything that they want. The other day we had a fabulous time going with a local homeschool group to a Cinderella Ballet. It was a beautiful performance and the girls were able to make a few friends. We had a nice lunch afterwards with some play time. We then headed to the store for a few items for Zach's birthday dinner. From one of our daughters I heard repeated begging for varying items that had nothing to do with Zach's birthday. I purchased a few reasonable food items that she wanted but said no to the other things. Well then we went to check out. She spotted some inappropriate magazines and asked for them. I told her no. She begged. I told her that they were not good for her. She pouted and exclaimed, "You say Bratz dolls no good. You say this no good! Ughh!" All this with arms crossed, big frown and the grumpiest voice that she could muster. I looked her in the eyes and told her that I loved her so much and loved to give her good things. I reviewed the wonderful day that we just had. I told her that I could not give her everything that she wanted and that some things were not good for her. I told her that it was not okay for her to act this way when the answer was no. She quickly recovered and gave me a big hug and kiss. All this at the checkout line :) This is such major improvement from this summer and I know that she is learning and has such a willing heart to learn. She is so open a so loving. We are so thankful that she truly has a sensitive spirit and that her heart is soft to us. However, it does require a lot of emotional energy and patience from me and I don't always do it right.

Tonight I gave each of the kids a package of stickers because they had all been wanting some and I just happenned to see some the other day. The girls were given beautiful disney princess stickers that they had been asking for and the boys were given spiderman stickers. Well it just so happened that the boys had four small sheets of stickers while the girls only had one larger sheet. No one even noticed this except this one child (yes the same one). She quickly said, "Maaamaa, Jadon has big (meaning lots of) stickers and I have small stickers." Again with the familiar pout. I calmly walked over to her and said that since she did not like her stickers that we would keep them. I took them from her and put them up. I told her that I loved her very much and that we could talk whenever she wanted. She put her head on the table and made a show of crying. I ignored this and went on with getting everybody ready for bed. Finally I told her to stop crying and told her that it was not okay to compare to each other and that we need to be grateful for what we have. I pointed out that I give them different things at different times and that just that morning we had given her two new dresses and nothing to anyone else. (She needed dresses and no one else did.) I also pointed out that just the other day daddy gave the girls stickers and that the boys didn't get any. I told her that it made me feel sad when she did not appreciate a special surprise. She was very receptive and I think truly sorry for her behavior. We hugged and went on to have a nice evening. I know that she was very hurt to be corrected and needed to know that we loved her so very much. I spent some extra time cuddling and loving her this evening. We talked some more about it and I think she was embarrassed that she had acted so silly. We also talked about what to do this Christmas if she recieves a gift that she does like very much :)

Both of these and many other times are great opportunites for us to teach the girls what it means to be polite and to be thankful. But let me just say that they wear me out at the same time! We long for our children to not just be polite but much more importantly to have hearts that can see the goodness of God in their lives and respond with thanksgiving. The truth is that God is at work doing amazing things in our lives and the world around us but we so often miss the beauty of His goodness because we get caught up with the present stressors of life. I pray that Zach and I are able to cultivate and model hearts that overflow with thanksgiving.
We do feel that things are going remarkably well and that both the girls are really adjusting well. We have certainly had varying issues to work through - some sibling issues and other basic things to work out like where everyone sits in the car and eating rules. Stuff like that. But we are getting into a great routine and are just incredibly thankful for each of our precious children. We have been amazed at how God is already knitting each one of our hearts together. What a sweet time this has been even if it has been a little tiring :)

6 comments:

Connie said...

You're doing GREAT! I for one am thankful for God's matchless grace toward YOU and your family, and for the Godly wisdom He has granted you, and the strength--His strength--He will continue to grant you! Wonderful post/report!

Connie said...

BTW, you might find the 'Heart Journal' in the book "Heart of Anger" by Lou Priolo to be very helpful as you walk your girls (or other kids!) through examining their sinful responses. Priolo does an excellent job of helping parents assist and train their children to actually deal with their sin in a very plain but direct manner--addressing the heart!

While your girls are acquiring English, you can walk them through the questions--which you already seem to be doing!!!--verbally. Later they can write out their responses. For our girls, this practice was part of a significant 'turning point' on their thinking and subsequent behavior--still room to grow, but we saw a clear change.

If you like, email me and I can send you a one page outline/example of the 'Heart Journal'. :-)

Michelle said...

Hi,

I just found your blog. I am searching for blogs from families that have adopted school aged children. We adopted our daughter last March/April when she was 7. I would love to email you about the dynamics of your new family as well as how the girls are being received by others outside your family.

My email address is michelleparas01@aol.com.

Michelle

Kevin and Pam said...

There is so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving and so much to celebrate this Christmas! We count it a blessing that we met in Kiev. Thank you for the prayers and encouragement all these months. Pam, especially, has been strengthened to finish the race strong.

Kevin

Viktor and Inna said...

Hello,
Yes we are using the same facilitator that you used. She is great! She really gets things done. Did you find the same about her? you can email me maranatha220033@yahoo.com
blessings
inna

Jason & Melanie said...

Hi Stephanee~ Thanks for updating us! I have been wondering how you all were doing. Glad for all the things that are going so well and I pray for the continued adjustments. I am thankful that God lifted you up when you needed it most! I have also found in our journey that when things are the most difficult that everytime I reach out and ask my close friends to be praying specifically for something, God almost immediately has sent me encouragement in the exact way I needed. He has called us to these adoptions and He is so faithful give us what we need to get through every part! Also, I am with you on always having as much time as I would like in devotion and prayer right now and I have found it SOOOO helpful when I just keep Praise & Worship music or the local christian radio station on in my kitchen throughout the day. It is a great way to draw close to him throughout the day when you just can't be alone :) God bless you and your precious family!