Monday, November 10, 2008

The Journey Home



Well it has taken me more than a week to have time sit down and now I feel I must backtrack a bit to try and capture all that has happened the past week!






Back to last Sunday...




We traveled for no less than 30 hours on three planes and a very long layover in Germany. But until the last bit of the trip it really wasn't that bad. The girls did great and we all slept a decent amount on the longest flight. It was an incredible feeling when we finally touched down in Denver!





Two New American citizens!!!












On the last flight that took us to Texas - we were greeted by a very friendly pilot and copilot who offered to show the girls the cockpit, then invited them to climb into the pilots' seats and have their pictures taken! Wow! We were just glad they didn't ask them to fly the plane too!




So finally at 10:00 at night we landed in Texas and ran to greet our family and friends!!! What a reunion it was! I completely broke down (unexpectedly) when I hugged Benjamin and Jadon and Allee. It felt so strange to be hugging them and the emotion of how much I had missed them just hit me so hard. It was so great to have a fan club waiting for us! Thank you guys for all coming! It was at about this time that I felt like my body was just breaking down - I could barely talk right and just felt sheer exhaustion combined with major emotion and it all seems very fuzzy now. But the joy of being with my family and friends and a yummy Starbucks (thanks Becca and Camille) gave me the second wind I needed to get us home to see an amazing surprise waiting for us!



Now, I think I mentioned that we moved to a new house about 10 days before traveling... It was crazy and although we worked around the clock to get things unpacked, curtains hung, closets organized, etc...it didn't all get done. Some important things that didn't get done was the girls room and the outside of the house. When we left there were landscaping materials in piles, no grass, no patio, a half-done side-walk, and half-built stairs on the back of the house. When we arrived home on Sunday night the girls room had been transformed into a girl's paradise - complete with new desks, a dresser, an organized closet with lots of brand new clothes and pjs, bulletin boards, and even little make-up mirrors. Nastya had a new cd player/alarm clock for her birthday as well. They ran right in and started organizing their clothes and hanging pictures of their friends onto their bulletin boards. They LOVE their new house and especially their room.



Well, that's not all!!! Outside we discovered a completed sidewalk, a lovely patio, completed stairs, trees being cleaned, grass that was growing strong, flower pots, and even Fall decorations!!! Oh, and clearing and landscaping had already been started on the hill below our house - a major undertaking! Let me not forget to mention a completely stocked fridge and a huge bowl of fruit (which disappeared in a few days!!)! We are just so humbled and blown away by this outpouring of love and kindness and generosity it is more than we can express with words. Thank you Dad, Mom, and Ash! I am just brought to tears every time I consider all that has been provided and how much you all have done. It was such an amazing gift to just know that our children were so loved and cared for while we were gone. You just did so much more than we could have ever imagined and we are so very grateful.



So the days following our arrival were pretty busy with unpacking and just trying to reenter our 'new normal' life. It didn't help that I got really sick for a few days... But with some good sleep and meds - I am back to feeling good again. The girls have done really great so far - more on that in another post. We did all go to church last Sunday and it was so great to be welcomed by our church family. And believe it or not - we had our first day of homeschooling TODAY and it went great!! Thank you Lord!



It is good to be home!



Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory

7 comments:

Kevin and Pam said...

O.k. you got me crying when I saw the picture of your reunion. I miss my kids terribly too! We finally got to skype today. We are out in the sticks and none of the cards have been working on our computer. I am so glad to got home safely and what a blessing to have your house all ready for you!

Connie said...

Don't feel too 'strange', I finally 'broke' when we arrived home at the airport--it was when I saw my own mother (we have no bio. children, or I'd been is worse shape probably!). International adoption is an amazing and incredibly draining journey!

Wow, do you feel like your 'cup runeth over'? What a wonderful blessing to return home to so many provisions and completed projects!!! Sort of makes one want to leave home for another month and see what else might get done in your absence, doesn't it? NOT! :-)

jeri said...

i am so glad you liked what we did at your home. it was truly a labor of love! i just wanted it to be as complete as possible so you wouldnt have to jump right in to get things like food, clothes etc. but could have some time with your beautiful family. i stand in awe of you and zach and all that you are scarificing in order to share your home and lives with these sweet girls. God called you to this, i know, and you answered!!! so now your dad and i are blessed with seven grandchildren, for now! who would have thought this would be the case. we wait on pins and needles to see what or who comes next. we are also so blessed to have you all so close to us so that we can share your and ashley's precious families. i love you very very much, stephanee. you continue to surprise and amaze me. I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE HOME!!! mommie

Karen @Snakes-Snails-Puppydogtails said...

So amazing!!! Glad you're getting settled! I love the pictures of your entire family ;)

Laura said...

Praise God! I am so glad that you are home and all is well. Your family is wonderful!!! What a fabulous blessing. I am glad that home schooling went well today as well. Hugs!

What a wonderful mother you have--that post made me grin and cry at the same time. God bless you guys!

Joel and Amy said...

WOW~~I've been waiting anxiously to hear about the homecoming and I am so thrilled that it has been such a special time for you all!! What an awesome testimony!! Our God is an amazing God!! We are so happy for you!! Big hugs-- Amy

Ken and Joy said...

I love the picture of your family!! How awesome to come home to a completed home, stocked fridge, and all your fans! Family is the best thing. So glad everything is going well. Congrats again.