Monday, December 8, 2008

Is anyone still there?!?

Okay we really haven't fallen off the face of the earth - just have been really busy. I seem to have this problem that when I go for a long time without posting then I get a complete block and don't know how to start again or how to possibly catch up. I'll give it a whirl here and try to be more consistent. Lots of posts have been written in my head but unfortunately never made it here... So this might be a little disjointed as I try to recap a few things.



Let's see~

We had a great Thanksgiving although for Katya it was a bit overstimulating which led to a lot of difficulty sleeping. So we were all very glad to back home and into our routine. The first night we were back home Zach was putting Katya to bed and she said, "Daddy, now me my house. I sleep good now." And she has ever since :) Katya is really doing well - she is an amazingly motivated student who is flying through the Explode the Code books as well as our other school books. She is learning a ton of English! She is very loving and every night when she prays she thanks God for her big family. Although the other day she was telling me that really our family is very small and we should adopt some more children - like her friends :) She gives lots of great hugs and definitely feels love through gifts and through touch. We have seen a great improvement in her confidence level as she can accept mistakes in schoolwork and just correct them without being overly upset anymore. She enjoys being helpful in the kitchen and with other household chores. She also loves to read and gets very nervous when her current book (in Russian) is near the end. It is hard to find good books to order in Russian!! But our little book lover is in good company and she can't wait to know English enough to read all of Allee's books.



Nastya - our little outdoorsy girl. She LOVES animals and is fully convinced that she will catch a bird or a squirrel or some other type of animal. She spends hours making traps with strings and food to lure the animals to the trap. She can't wait for Spring when baby animals will be born and truly believes that she may find a baby bird or deer or raccoon that needs her help. I have probably made matters worse as I have recounted stories of my own childhood when we once found baby blue jays and raised them as well as when my sister and mom raised a baby deer that slept in my sister's bed. She asks me daily for a baby puppy and tells me that one day she may make her house into a real zoo. She reminds me so much of myself as a young girl - I spent untold hours with my sister searching for baby deer and even caught a seagull with some bread and a string one time (it quickly got away from me though)! She is a bit more coordinated than I was though (major understatement), with her incredible athleticism. I love to see her soaking up the outdoors and using her imagination. Oh one story - one day she and Allee and Katya caught some butterflies and when I went into their room they had made these grass beds inside their stools complete with sliced fruit and water for the butterflies. Everything was going along just fine until their beloved cat ate the butterflies!!! Oops! They were soon forgiven though :)



Family Life - Mainly busy!! We have been going full steam since we got home with homeschool, Allee and Jadon and Ben's school stuff, Christmas, work, and lots more!! Oh - we finally got a contract on our house a few weeks ago which is a huge answer to prayer in the current economy situation but it means that we have to move the rest of our stuff out into storage by this weekend. We moved about 10 days before leaving for Ukraine so we certainly just did the primary things and left extra stuff - like everything in the garage and in storage closets and outside. So the next few days I get to move :) Oh and then Thursday I get to go to the dentist to get my tooth fixed that I had a filling fall out of two days ago :) Gotta keep things interesting.



Honestly I have just been a mix of doing really well with it all and then occasionally feeling that I might be losing my mind :). It was also surprisingly emotional for me to go back to clean out the old house. Surprising because I really never liked it all that much but I forgot what a sentimental sap I am... So just lots of emotions. If I think for more than a few minutes about all I have to do right now I feel very stressed - actually I can feel my body tense up just writing the above and thinking about all that I need to accomplish in the next few weeks. But I have tried to keep my focus on what must be done today and on what is most important. I guess somehow it will all get done, right?!? The big picture is that we are oh so blessed and everyone is doing well. "So just don't sweat the small stuff"...I keep saying that over and over.



It has been hard to find quiet time with the Lord to allow Him to renew me and I feel my deep need for Him. There are so many things I need to spend time praying over and just taking to Him rather than trying to figure them out myself. I know that I cannot do this myself and that I need Him desperately but the heavy load of busyness had made it difficult. I find myself working until near bedtime and then just busy with children. So for me - my biggest struggle has been to personally seek my Lord first when everything else seems so demanding. We do have bible time each morning as part of school and I have a few minutes of quiet to pray and read and journal a bit.

A quick update - I wrote all the above on Monday but had to edit a little before posting. Yesterday was even harder and I had a really difficult day. I know that many of you were praying for me. This morning I woke up feeling well rested and then events just fell into place and God gave me some quiet time with Him. I just feel more refreshed than I have in days and feel like I have a fresh perspective. We had a great start to school today too! Thank you Lord!!

I will post more with pics very soon!

9 comments:

Debora Hoffmann said...

I'm still here! :-) It is good to hear what you're all up to and that the girls are settling in so well. I love how the Lord meets us in our need for Him. I need to seek time with Him more, just like you, and I don't have kids running around here yet. :-)

ArtworkByRuth said...

Yes, of course we are still following! Thanks for posting specific prayer requests, makes it easier to pray! ;) So glad things have gotten into a routine for the kids, low key through all the holidays is best, as you have probably already figured out! Praying for extra guidance for you as MOM! HUGS!

Kevin and Pam said...

I am also looking to see how it is going with you guys. It is going great here so far. We are doing light school this week and just got the Rosetta Stone yesterday. I think I will wait until after Christmas before I go full swing ahead with school. Justin is adjusting really well so far. He has had a few pouting spells but is coming out of more and more quickly. :)

Connie said...

Thanking God for His grace toward you in 'renewing' your strength and focus!

And, praising Him for the wonderful progress your girls are enjoying!

MichelleWebb said...

Stephanee, Thanks for your transparency! I can relate a lot to what you're feeling. We've been packing up (again) to move this week and I also struggle to get good time with the Lord. I appreciate hearing your heart and being encouraged by your desire to not sweat the small stuff but to keep your eyes on Him! Merry Christmas, Michelle Webb

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Yes, I'm still here;) Of course, you're busy. You've just almost doubled your children. Really more than doubled since the last two are so needy;)

Hope everything's going well!

June

Leslie said...

We're here too! Glad to hear the update and know that everyone is adjusting. I feel your pain at trying to stay consistent with posting. I'm trying to get back on the wagon myself! Keep writing!

Tami said...

I'm still here too! Its good to hear that the girls are getting settled in and you're finding your new normal. We'll keep lifting your up during the holidays. Don't beat yourself up about not being able to get everything done. You're still adjusting to your new life. Just concentrate on the 'have tos'. ;>)

Stacy Jones said...

Steph, this is a beautiful blog. My mom has kept me informed over the past few years about your family, but hearing it "through the grapevine" just doesn't do it justice. I've only made it halfway through, and you've brought tears to my eyes more than once! You and your family are a great inspiration.

BTW I seem to recall the "catching a seagull with a string" incident ;)