Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm Being Attacked!

This is very serious.



About a week ago I awoke in the middle of the night with my upper lip tingling and swollen to the point that it almost was touching my nose - no exaageration! I began to panic and thought - what kind of allergy attack am I having? What if next I can't breathe? I took a few deep breaths, decided that, while very strange and quite uncomfortable, my life was not in immediate danger. I thankfully went back to sleep. In the morning my lip was still quite swollen and kind of curled upwards (very attractive). I remembered then that I had heard a buzzing sound in my sleep and figured it was some type of insect bite - like a killer mosquito perhaps. I could see where he had bit me!



Well last night it happenned again - I was bit not once but twice. This time they got me on my right upper eyelid (I could barely open it when I got up and now it appears that I have a droopy lid) AND on my right ear lobe. The ear itches pretty bad and is hot and swollen. I thought it was too cold for these creatures to still be alive but I guess they are some tough cookies and obviously have it out for me.

I mean Zach was right there - why not him? I guess I smelled better...


A few other random things ~ We moved to a new apartment last night. We were spoiled and now we are being humbled. I have never slept on such a lumpy, small bed. It barely fit the two of us and caved towards the middle. Not to mention that it is in this wierd closet-like room. All that fits is the bed and it is more than a little claustrophobic! Don't miss that romantic photography hanging above our heads though! Ha! Let's just say it was not the best night's sleep... Why did I forget to pack more benadryl!?!? I think one of us will try the 2 1/2 foot wide couch tonight!
So we finally quit tossing and turning and drug ourselves out of bed this morning, feeling like we had not slept at all. I was looking out the window (through one eye) and, noticing the new roof that was being constructed inches from the window, I said, "At least they are not hammering away this morning right outside our window." Not five second later the banging began in earnest and hasn't quit yet!

It has been interesting!

Another crazy thing that happened yesterday - this on a more positive note!!

It is a small world after all!

We went to eat last night at this really awesome restaurant. We walked in and to our surprise the waitress said, "Sit anywhere you like!" - in plain english! She continued to talk to us in perfect english and we asked if she was from Ukraine. She said yes but that she has spent a year and also a summer in the US on student exchange programs. We told her that we were from Texas and she almost fell over saying that she lived in this little town - New Braunfels! Then we almost fell over! She lived with David and Cathy (I think) Stewart. We don't know them but it was such an amazingly small world. She even went to Canyon high school. It was so fun talking to her and she was thrilled. Seriously, what are the odds that we would meet one of the only people in Ukraine who lived in New Braunfels? Not good!

8 comments:

Connie said...

There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home... :-)

Zack, Jenn and William said...

What a small world! I remember how comforting it was when (not very often) we'd find someone who could speak a little English.

So sorry about being attacked by the killer buggies - how bizarre is that. Have you tried taking Benadryl or something similar to deal with it?

By the way, the picture over your bed reminds me of the old Guess jeans ads that were so popular when I was in high school (gosh, I sound old!).

Anyway, I'm still praying that all goes well from here on out, so you guys can get your girls back home soon!

Jennifer

Laura said...

Oh my gosh!!! That is amazing. I cannot believe it. Small world and yet so incredibly different and HUGE at the same time. I am sorry about your eye and lip. Benadryl would help with more that just sleep it seems. I am diligently working on our home study paperwork today. Getting closer! We also are really considering the land. I have talked with Mr. Guenther about high school for TMS but, have also discovered LifeGate Christian in Seguin. Have you heard of it?

Kevin and Pam said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about the bug bites! I used to have that happen to me when I was a kid. They always attacked my eyes and nobody else ever got bit. I don't know if this is a tale or not but my dad used to tell me to soak some bread in milk and put it on my eye. It did help with the swelling. If you don't have benedryl you might try it. :) I agree with Connie, "There is no place like home." Being sick some place else is the worst! I love the picture above your cozy bed. You will laugh hard later about all this. Take lots of pictures for fun memories (later) to show your kids what you went through! We will keep praying!

ArtworkByRuth said...

Perhaps the waitress can get you the benadryl? There should be a pharmacy nearby, many of the brands still have the same packaging, otherwise pantomime to the pharmacist your ailments and they will give you something...can't wait to read the rest of the story. BTW can you get another apartment? :(

Stephanee&Zach said...

Thanks for all your comments and encouragement. We unfortunately have tried many routes to find benadryl. We asked several bilinugal people to go the pharmacy with us, we translated the word benadryl and the diphenhydramine. They tried to sell us other allery meds but were unfamiliar with benadry!!! One of the most common drugs in america! And I am scared to take anything else b/c I react so strange to certain allergy meds. Oh well - soon we will be home!!! We will live - at least I have anitbiotics!

adopting2fromUkraine said...

How amazing! Sounds a bit Providential;) It probably encouraged her as much as it did you.

We were staying in a building connected to another apartment building, a restaurant and a disco(!)
There was our apartment and the office for the restaurant in our part of the building. The walls in the kitchen vibrated from restaurant music. The walls on the opposite side of the apartment near our bedroom vibrated from the disco until 12 midnight. Then, around 6:45am, we could hear running up and down the stairs which led to our apt. and the office along with loud noises of workers in the apt building next to us. It's a wonder we got any sleep! Plus we had a bed with two sinkholes with a hill in the middle!

Ahh, memories! lol

Maybe the waitress can help you find Benadryl.

June

Unknown said...

I think I met a lady last night named Cathy Stewart. She was at the Options for Women Gala and I think she works for them or something? Wild! I can't believe you met a fellow NB resident - that is wild. That is like us meeting the couple from San Antonio at McDonald's in Kiev. It was like a great reminder of home - it was wonderful.
So sorry to hear about your lip! Oh my word! Yeah, no Benadryl in Ukraine - we looked. They didn't even have Tylenol or Motrin. It was strange. I really hope it gets better.
Love and miss you!!!