Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Enough Already!!!

Can you believe it? I didn't until I saw it first hand...

Katya is STILL in the hospital. Day 9. The girl is waaaaaay more patient than I am in this regard. First we were all told 5 days and she would leave and that seemed crazy. Then we were promised that today she would leave. So we head for a quick visit to the orphanage. It had to be quick because we have to move apartments this evening and I have come down with a cold - I'm sure from the hospital!! Don't worry - I won't be coughing in front of anyone at the hospital or they might keep me too :) But at least I have antibiotics (thanks Dr. Nelson!) and other good drugs! But I am getting off subject...

So we arrived at the orphanage expecting to see both girls but only Nastya comes running up (in a sleeveless shirt - we tried to tell her that it at best 55 degrees!) and says that Katya is not back. So we head to the director's office and Alla is there. Alla is also surprised and they call the hospital but the doctors have left for the day!!! That means that she wouldn't be leaving and we couldn't get an update. Nor could we send her a message. So we did what any good parents would do :) We took a taxi to the hospital knowing that she would be very disappointed to still be there and doubly upset if we didn't come visit. Unfortunately we didn't have time to run by the market and get food. All we had was juice and a little candy. We were so wishing that we had food because she says the food there is horrible (I can only imagine). But the market was very far away and we had to rush back to pack up the apartment. Tomorrow we will take her more food - she wants fried eggs and spaghetti?!? I'll just whip that right up :)

She was sad to be there but so relieved that we came. She told us that she thought we wouldn't come and that she was crying earlier :( I wanted to cry for her. And scream too. So she has a little cough. That's it! She is barely sick - certainly no fever and not feeling bad. But she thinks the doctor said that now she is staying until Friday!!! That will be 11 days and will only give her one last night with her friends before leaving forever. So incredibly frustrating and no one will listen to us or for that matter understand us. There is more than a language difference in this communication problem!!! We are going to call in the morning and see if we can request her release tomorrow afternoon. Pray that they will do that. She really needs to have some time to say goodbye to her friends. Maybe we will be able to let her stay until Sunday evening before the girls leave with us... We are ready to take them now but also feel that she needs some time with her friends who have been like sisters the past few years.

The good aspects of this hospital stay are still good - we have had a lot of bonding time, she has felt very loved by us, I have felt very compassionate and loving to her, and maybe this frustration will actually help her be even more ready to get home to America!!! It sure does help me!! We know that this time truly is working for good and can see that even in the frustrations!

6 comments:

adopting2fromUkraine said...

We didn't experience this, but our friends had the experience of their son being sick and the orphanage caregivers wouldn't let them see him.
I'm sure it's very frustrating to see them sick and want to take responsibility for their care, but you can't until you have those legal papers! UGH!

It will be over soon:)

June

Jason & Melanie said...

Wow...we could have had brain surgery and been home from the hospital by now in the U.S., haha!! Can't imagine how hard it is for ya'll!! Praying for you!!! Hang in there...you WILL get home :)
Melanie

Kevin and Pam said...

I am so sorry Katya still has to stay in the hospital. This has to be most frustrating. I pray she can get out soon and you can all be together. I hope your cold goes away quickly also. My daughter Morgan came down with the chicken pox today! Hoping my son doesn't get them next... Life is good. :)

ArtworkByRuth said...

Imagine how disappointed she will be once in America and learn we take medicine and still go to school when we have a cough...Z thought he needed to stay home quite a bit once he was first home!
I'm sure he thought we were horrible parents!

Laura said...

I would be furious! I am so sorry that she is still there. I will pray that there is a reason that will be evident that we just cannot see. There has to be a reason. She is 12 right? I am trying to think of 12 year old friends...anyway, all is well here. A little more each day. I saw Alle and Jadon and gave them each big hugs from you.

Connie said...

I'm so sorry for this delay, but am certain that it is providential--for reasons we may never know.

You most definitely have been given a rich opportunity to show what 'family' is all about--sacrifice, love, mercy, and special time/attention. I can only imagine how 'grand' and puzzling at the same time this may be to your new daughter!

I will be praying that she will have plenty of opportunity to visit with her friends.

BTW, you might consider/ask if you can leave some stamped self-addressed envelopes with the orphanage director so that her/their friends can send letters. (We had our translator take us to the post office so that we knew we had purchased the right envelopes and postage)