Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bittersweet Goodbyes...

On Sunday we finally were able to take the girls with us. It has been wonderful to have them with us but a very emotionally hard time for them (and us) to say goodbye to their lives here. They keep asking if they can come visit for their birthdays or something like that. Nastya wants us to buy a second house here :) If only it were so easy.



It is a blessing for the girls that it has been so hard to say goodbye to their friends and to caregivers.

A blessing because it means that the last two years they have had deep, loving relationships with each of their friends and several caregivers - especially Alla. But it makes it harder right now. They are actually doing pretty well. They want to go home. What has made it harder is that we have had not one, not two, but three emotional goodbyes at the orphanage. We keep thinking that we will be laving tomorrow and then having more paperwork delays. So of course as long as we are in the region the girls want to see their friends. I understand but I wish we could just say one goodbye because it is taking it's toll emotionally on all of us as well as the other children. I personally have had a rough few days. Emotionally I feel raw, and physically I have not slept well in five days. Those of you who know me well, know that I do not function well on lack of sleep, which is currently close to what I felt like when I had a newborn and didn't sleep. The difference is I am not lying aroung being waited on now in the comfort of my home!!! I am hiking all over town and my new children are a bit more difficult and sleep a great deal less :)

Today was one frustration after another - the girls broke my phone and I had trouble communicating with the phone store people to fix it. We locked ourselves out of our apartment all day. We bought a gift for one of the kids and lost it. We got stuck at the orphanage for at least two hours more than we planned and were all starving (another really bad combo with no sleep and my hypoglycemia). We have had a few confrontations (minor but still hard) with the girls - we are all on our last straws emotionally... And last and definitely not least - we found out that we were not going to be able to leave for Kiev today. Breathe in, breathe out. I need my little red shoes soooo bad!!! "There is no place like home, there is no place like home!"



Back to the goodbyes, the emotions have been hard to contain. I have had to constantly tell myself that I cannot break down in front of the kids. But it has torn my heart to leave these precious children. We love them so much. And they are so heartbroken. They are grieving in different ways - some cry, some retreat and shutdown, some get just overly hyper... It would be easier for all if we had not spent countless hours the past four weeks playing with them, talking, taking quiet walks, playing soccer, playing Uno, and just loving the children that will remain orphans. For four weeks they have embraced us, allowed us into their world, taught us silly games, taught us Ukrainian. We have wanted to bless them by showing them that their tricks on the monkey bars, their dances that they've learned, their goofy games, their songs that they make up, and everything else about them is important and precious and worthwhile. We have tried to hug and love and encourage every second that we are with them. But now, we have come to love them more. And they have come to love us more. So while we are thankful that we had this time with this precious group of children, it makes these goodbyes indescribably hard. I love too many children that I cannot help. Oh Lord, please love these children. Please bless them. Please give them hope. Please hold them. And please comfort Zach, Katya, Nastya and I as our hearts break to say goodbye. It is hard to love and leave. Easier to close our hearts and not love. But that of course is not the answer. We are forever changed - our hearts have stretched bigger and the stretching is painful. Thank you Lord for this precious time with each one of these precious children, and even for the pain - because we can take it You knowing that You love them far more than we ever could.

If you are considering adoption or if you feel that tug at your heart, don't let it pass. Pray and see if this is how God wants you to love. He will show you and He just might have a child to bring home - to you. Or maybe there is another calling for you. But somehow each of us is called to in some way love the orphans and widows. Ask him how. One thing we can do is pray. If you would like a child to pray for, let me know and I will send you a name, a little info and a picture. I promised Tanya, Galyna, Masha, Tanya, Yana, Alena, Vika, Vera, Olga, Vova, and Oleg that we would pray for them regularly. I could use some help in this! (Sorry I have not emailed you back Anna - will do so very soon!)

As sweet, wonderful Vika tearfully told me as we got into the taxi tonight, "Remember me. Please remember me." Oh how could I forget. Lord, remember them.

11 comments:

Tami said...

How incredibly heartbreaking and bittersweet it must be for all of you. Hang in there. You will be able head to Kiev soon. I had several people tell me (during my Odessa breakdown ;) that God must have made me stay for a reason I wasn't to know. Maybe my life would touch someone else's in some way that I wouldn't know in my lifetime. It was a bit of a comfort to know our timing is not our own. Everything is on God's timetable. ((hugs))

Debora Hoffmann said...

Oh, that must be so hard for you, especially going back multiple times. I wamt to bring them all home with me, and I haven't spent four weeks with them! I am praying that more and more people will open their hearts to love and adopt these kids who so desire a family. I am on a mission now like never before...the more I see these precious ones and hear their hearts, the more I need to get the word out!

Laura said...

Oh Steph! You are so incredibly blessed to have been able to see and love on these children. I am so full of questions, desires, more questions. Thanks for sharing your journey. Give everyone big Texas hugs--I hope you all get that call about Kiev soon. Laura

ArtworkByRuth said...

Grieving with you, but know God will use this passion once you have gotten home and rested, to spur others into adoption or support orphanages! {Hugs!}
*I decided to take my son to Kyiv despite waiting for the passport because I knew I could have him in an apartment with a routine of sorts, made the parenting much easier! More expensive, but we emotionally needed it at that time...just a thought!

Connie said...

I simply don't have the words right now. But what I do have is the ability to pray for you, for your girls, for those still waiting for their family.

God has so graciously and mercifully shown you some of the many orphans that He is 'father' to--humbling, isn't it?

Blessings during your last days there.

Unknown said...

Precious Potts Family,
I am sitting here with so many emotions running through my head and heart. With tears streaming down my face, I can't help but remember those we left behind. Its so incredibly hard but now you can see my passion with G.R.A.C.E. - it is God Rescuing All Children Everywhere because He does do the rescuing! I am just so thankful that He has chosen us to help in that rescue effort!
We will join you in prayer about these precious children that need homes! I will make it my mission to help you in your efforts to find them homes! If you can get me information and the availability of each of them - I will do my best to find homes for them.
We love you guys so much! You already had HUGE hearts! And, now they are even bigger. Who would have thought 10 years ago you would be in a country half the world away ministering to the lives of Ukrainian children! God is sooooo good!

Ashley said...

I know exactly how you are feeling about leaving these children behind. I still see all of their faces and it breaks my heart. May others feel this same compassion about these children. I pray more will obey God in doing what He ask of us by taking care of orphans. I am praying for you. I know this is tough and I pray you can get some much needed rest. I know how hard it is not sleeping well. You will be home soon and I thank you for praying and loving on the children that are left behind.

Jeri said...

I remember the night I went over alone to visit Alex and as soon as he saw me, "Mama! Mama!" only to have seventeen other three year olds running and yelling,"Mama!Mama!" I had to get out of there for awhile...our translator kept trying to comfort me and I just couldn't spit it out....my tears were for them, those almost 90% that will never even be available for adoption and only see a family member once a year.

While you carry your girls home with you, you'll carry the others in your heart. This is just such an emotional ride. Know the sadness you're feeling will be tempered with time and joyous experiences with your new daughters. Know that you will also continue to try to make that magic happen for the others...He has laid their needs at your feet and you have willingly, if sadly, accepted the trust. Hang in there and congratulations! Your keepin' it weirder here in wim village friend.

Kelly said...

I remember leaving the orphanage in Mexico and the kids held hands and formed a wall where we couldn't drive through them. It was so very hard to leave them, and they didn't want us to leave either. You just want to help all the children, but there just isn't a way. I would love to do an international adoption, but there is a lot of stuff God would have to work out. I am anxious to see what He has in store.

Laura said...

Who is the little girl with the dark hair and blue eyes? Is she able to be hosted? I have all of our paperwork done. I am waiting for the insurance form but, it should be at the hospital in the morning because it was getting faxed. I am overwhelmed with different emotions. I hope to be able to call you all tomorrow.

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Oh, Stephanee, I don't know if this is any comfort, but my husband and I have had all the same feelings and emotions. It is so very hard. There are not sufficient words to describe. Being there does change you forever!

Maybe through all our stories about these incredibly beautiful, loving children, God will tug at someone's heart.

There are many times I've wondered, why do I feel others pain so deeply? Why does it hurt so much. Why do I have to be this way? Then, I remember something I heard once, that compassion is a gift from God. You are one step ahead of me. You treasure the pain.

God bless you,
June